How to make a Wisconsin Old Fashioned (Tavern Style)
You may have had an Old Fashioned cocktail in other parts of the world, but in Wisconsin they are a kinder and gentler adult beverage. Made popular in taverns and supper clubs throughout the state, the Old Fashioned is a staple. You really should try it as a slush… it is a party maker.
Miss Mary’s Old Fashioned Mix is a clean label, non-alcoholic mix so you can control whether and how much alcohol to add. We make our mixes ready to pour because cocktails should take longer to drink than to make.
- 2 parts Bourbon, Whiskey, or Brandy
- 1 part Miss Mary’s Old Fashioned Mix
- Optional Garnish: Slice of Orange and/or Cherry
Combine ingredients in a low ball glass with ice. A garnish adds nice color.
For a luxe touch, drop in a Luxardo Cherry or two. Trust us… they’re worth it.
HOW TO ORDER A WISCONSIN OLD FASHIONED IN A TAVERN
In Wisconsin, whether at your local tavern or in a world-famous Supper Club, you’d order the Old Fashioned:
- Sweet – with a floater (aka ‘wash’) of Sprite or 7up,
- Sour – with a grapefruit soda like Squirt or 50/50 (actual Sour Mix works too), or
- Pressed – with a combo of soda + seltzer (less sugar, more liquor flavor).