Miss Mary’s Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
When the cold creeps in, let Chicken Tortilla Soup warm you from the inside out.
We love that, even “semi-homemade,” this soup still tastes like Rick Bayless was your mentor.
- 2 QTS Chicken broth (Try Meghan Telpner’s Bone Broth – it’s AMAAAAAZING.)
- 2 finely chopped yellow onions
- 1 1/2 cups corn (frozen ok! what else can you do in the winter?!?)
- 2 cups/cans fired roasted green chilis
- 1.5lbs chicken breasts (cooked) or 1.5 Rotisserie Chickens
- 1/3 bottle of Miss Mary’s Bold & Spicy Bloody Mary Mix
- 1 (14.5 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5 oz) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups/cans diced tomatoes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Generous squeeze of lemon or lime
- 1 cup whole milk (or try Unsweetened Coconut Milk for a dairy-free option)
Optional Garnishes: Tortilla strips or tortilla chips, Shredded cheddar or Monterey jack cheese,
Diced avocado, diced Roma tomatoes, sour cream
INSTRUCTIONS – Let’s do this!
Sauteed onions sizzling in a soup pot gives us happy home vibes.
To start, cook the onions in a little EVOO until they’re translucent. Add the chilis and corn. If your pot is large enough, put a char on the corn. It adds a little smoky flavor that we lurrrve.
Sometimes we marinate the shredded chicken in the Miss Mary’s Bloody Mary mix, sometimes we just add them, the beans, and the tomatoes at once. Salt and pepper generously, and add your citrus. Stir well to distribute the flavors. Then, add the broth and let simmer until you’re ready to eat. Just before serving, stir in the milk.
This batch will serve 6 for dinner. Double the recipe for an easy party dish that is sure to impress!